Saturday, April 07, 2007

Reading under the influence

I never really figured out how to combine reading and a nightlife. But you know who has? Will Shamlian and Michael Leko, at their recently opened Library Bar, a short hop from the Central Library in downtown LA. (A couple good pictures are available here.) In addition to the wall of books - which was an eclectic mix including a few I'd actually read - there are comfy chairs and a fabulous selection of music. My apple beer (like a cider but without the fizz) was yummy even if a little pricey, and came in one of those awesome Belgian beer glasses.

If it were near my office, I'd be there every night after work. (I'd probably bring my own book though.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy solution: Read during the day, then enjoy the nightlife at night --

Erin said...

I know you're right. But it would be so nice to figure out a way to combine the two.

And actually, I even thought of a place that did. At Stanford we had the Coffee House (CoHo) which was a pretty typical coffee house that also served beer. So you could study, but also party with friends. Except when I was there for my reunion, I found out they stopped serving beer. Boo.

Don said...

I take the bus to and from work. That's a solid 90 minutes of reading time right there. I also read over lunch so I get 2 hours of reading in a day without using my evening at all.