Saturday, June 11, 2005

We truly are bowling alone

The book has me partially inspired, and feeling pretty good about where I stand in relation to civic participation. In fact, I marched on a picket line for the first time the other day, and while definitely feeling out of place, was truly warmed by the power of solidarity. On the other hand, I'm also acutely aware now of any and all areas in which my social capital is deficient. Michael and I have had several talks about this in the past week. (Also a little sad: Putnam reverses some on his evangelicals argument, which I had found really fascinating.)

Upshot: the book might be a little dated at this point, and I'd be curious to see a new foreword or any "five years later" analysis of where we are. But still a good read, especially for those of you who don't mind repetition (or are good skimmers) and even more so for people who like graphs and statistics.

No comments: