Thursday, June 30, 2005

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Jonathan Safran Foer makes me mad. Or jealous, rather. I want to be a wunderkind author. On the other hand, I wouldn't have wanted to face the expectations he must have been staring at following Everything is Illuminated. ELIC is a good sophomore effort, and he didn't shy away from taking on something big, in September 11th, although he did protect himself a little by couching himself in the guise of an odd and grieving little boy.

I liked this book. I liked and wanted to protect Oskar, just as I felt for his namesake in The Tin Drum. JSF is talented at exploring the ways that people who love one another deceive and/or misunderstand each other. The members of the Schell family reach out to each other in funny ways and reciprocate another's plea within the overwhelming paradigm of his or her own individual pain.

Life is hard. But it is also incredibly touching.

No comments: