Monday, May 26, 2008

Confessions of a Chick-Lit Reader

I can't help myself. Recently I compiled a list of ideas for my book club's upcoming meeting. Included on the list was Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic, a book I never really expected to read but somehow ended up owning. The rest of the members totally did not go for it (they chose Candide instead) but I actually think that we could have had a very interesting discussion from Kinsella.

On Saturday afternoon I was feeling tired and grumpy and wanted a quick pick-me-up of a read. So I grabbed COAS and got started. I finished it sometime around 8:30 that evening before getting ready to go to a party (I had to stop for the Stanley Cup finals, else I might have finished earlier) and I must say that it absolutely filled my need. Kinsella took a lot from Bridget Jones' Diary, and I'm pretty sure I had mapped out the plot within about 5 pages, but sometimes that's okay. Becky's disconnect between her lack of money and inability to stop spending is adorable - and unfortunately all too relevant to me these days, although clearly I should aim higher. More biting though, is Kinsella's attention to the way the financial industry helps her along in this self-delusion, offering her new lines of credit even as they are sending her collection letters. That I enjoyed.

Anyway, for all my ridiculous vocabulary and big important books, I still am a sucker for chick lit. And I'm a sucker for all the same reasons other "chicks" are: it is light and funny; we recognize our own foibles in the person of the protagonist; despite those foibles, life and love always work out in the end; and said protagonist is always just that much more interesting and sophisticated than we are. We can aspire to be her, because she made it there even though she is neurotic, or a spendthrift, or has wacky parents, or can't hold down a job.

Are these books good for our psyche, or just empty calories? Probably the latter, but sometimes you need the empty calories. Because what is life if you always make the wise decision?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! We thought you and your readers might like to receive a free full-length novel, Jumble Pie, a heartwarming story about two women, a friendship, and a pie. The author has two published novels (Penguin/NAL) and is providing this as a thank-you to readers!

http://www.melanielynnehauser.com/JumblePie


Thanks!
GreenApple Publicity