Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Writers who read and readers who write

On my commute home, I listened to Francine Prose talk about her book Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them on KQED's radio show Forum. (What decade do you think host Michael Krasny's photo is from?)

I was a big fan of her latest novel, A Changed Man, so was curious to hear what she had to say about the craft of writing. And listening to a writer who loves books (see also Jane Smiley) talk about books is lovely. So it made up for the fact that my bus was late and then stalled, stretching the commute out to the full hour.

Prose has a list of 100+ "Books to Read Immediately" at the back of her book, so you know I'll be checking that out.

Also moving back up my list: Carolyn See's Making a Literary Life: Advice for Writers and Other Dreamers, a book that has languished because I never feel quite "ready" for it.

No comments: