Monday, March 27, 2006

American (Lit) Idol

Somehow (i.e. Michael) I have been watching "American Idol" this season. I don't know why - it's like crack. (But I know I'm not alone, all you closet watchers and voters out there.)

LAist brings news of another contest, the Million Writers Award for Fiction, which is "a little like American Idol for short stories: a huge group is selected by judges, then winnowed down, then put before the public for a vote."

What's truly cool about this is are the links to the dozens of finalists, where in most if not all cases you can read the stories right on your screen. A very cool way to promote short fiction - which I often enjoy but rarely read anywhere except the New Yorker, which didn't have produce any finalists.

In other news, the pile of magazines by my bedstand has gotten out of hand, so I am taking a break from books for at least the rest of the workweek to try to reimpose some level of control. So likely light posting for a little while.

No comments: