Saturday, July 30, 2005

Us YFBers...

I was truly shocked at my desire to read Suze Orman's book of financial advice for twenty-somethings. I usually don't buy this shit, and I find it ironic that she wants to take $25 from the very people she acknowledges are "young, fabulous, and broke" (or YFB, as we were termed for the rest of the book). (Also, the leather jacket she's wearing on the cover was a poor attempt at connecting with her target audience.) But I'm fascinated by money, and freaked out by my enormous school loan debt, and thought there might be something in it for me.

Another reason I love the library. I had to wait over 2 months to get my hands on a copy, but once I did, I had the full benefit of Suze's words of wisdom - both on the page, and on her website - without dropping money I don't really have. There's a lot in here about building good credit, and even more about how to best dig your way out of credit card debt. (Discovery: I don't have credit card debt - apparently I'm less broke than I thought, but also I think a little less fabulous in my spending habits.) It's all pretty sensible, and provides a good set of step-by-step instructions for those who need a very straightforward path to financial responsibility.

For people more like me, she quelled my fears of my looming loan payments by announcing that I've got a great deal, especiallly at my interest rate, so I don't need to freak out or subsist on ramen noodles while pumping my entire income into loan payments. She also provides smart advice on maximizing investments and how to start saving money when you're not a saver. By the end of the book, I was starting to think that maybe it was worth the $24.95 cover price after all...

No comments: