Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Gate of Angels

I can't remember the name of this author - Penelope something (I am too lazy to look it up now but will do so and correct this later) - but it is our latest book club selection. I finished it yesterday for tonight's reading. Michael is hopefully going to read it during his lunch break. It is super short, but was hard to get into. It started to flow better after the first 50 pages of so and comes together in the end pretty well.

The setting is Cambridge (England), 1912. The main characters are a young physics fellow in one of the colleges, and a nurse-in-training. The author is big on description - especially of flowers, it seems - and creates vivid scenes. I feel like the pre-war years aren't that common in historical fiction, so it's nice to get a picture of that world, on the crux between old and new. However, the plot and characters are kind of sketchy. I felt bemused.

Also, I am coming to the conclusion that the librarian in our book club and I have different tastes in literature. Which is okay, but it does mean that perhaps I should be making more recommendations. Take it over.

No comments: