Saturday, December 28, 2013

All good things...

Allegiant - Veronica Roth (Katherine Tegen Books, 2013)

I feel like I had heard this book had a rather controversial ending. I get it - I mean, how can you [REDACTED] and not expect people to be upset? I'll admit, my suspicions ran in a different direction. As a result, I felt okay about Roth's decisions, although I suppose I will have to go look around for some press where she talks more about it.

Throughout the series, the motivating force is the desire for agency as it comes into conflict with a world that wants to use the characters as puppets. And the circles just keep expanding. Here we go outside the only world Tris has ever known, and discover that what has seemed high stakes has pretty much been child's play. Again, they have been tools in someone's grander scheme.

I find myself at a bit of loss for what else to say. I'm frustrated by the YA staple of 16 year olds being placed in positions of great authority. Um, no. (Maybe this is why it's a dystopia? :P) I wonder about the relationships, and how they would look if they were being nurtured by less apocalyptic times. And how the film will adapt the major plotlines. And what on earth was going on behind the science, which generally just made my head hurt. But it was a really fun ride, especially Divergent. I look forward to the alternative world trilogy in which the stakes stay a little smaller, and people carve out what it means to have agency and be human without overthrowing regime after regime after regime.

No comments: