Monday, February 14, 2011

Isn't it romantic?

Call Me Irresistible - Susan Elizabeth Phillips (HarperCollins, 2011)

It was my grandmother that introduced me to Phillips. I was visiting and helping box up books to donate to the library (yay Grandma!) when I came across Match Me If You Can. Which I snapped up and read over the next 20 or so hours. I was smitten.

Anyway, one thing I like quite about about Phillips (although I guess this is common among romance novelists?) is the way the books inhabit the same world and include the same characters. For example, in this latest, the two leads are children of couples from her early books, and another former youngster makes a major appearance, and is set to star in an upcoming novel.

Meg shows up in small-town Texas just in time to break up her best friend's wedding to Mr. Perfect. Because she knows he's just not perfect for her friend. Then is stranded there. And she just keeps running into him, and from there romance ensues. The description of Ted's charmed life is hilarious. And while we eventually get his POV, it doesn't come until very late in the novel, so he remains as much a cipher to us as to Meg.

It's a formula, sure, but it works, and I really do find Phillips' books more charming than probably any other romance novelist out there.

No comments: