Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Too many people: My experience at the 2010 Festival of Books

I had been telling everyone that there were about 30,000 too many people at the LA Times Festival of Books this past Saturday. (It turns out there were about 130,000 attendees total over the weekend, so my numbers sound about right.) Honestly, I was so cranky about being there that I almost just left. I'm not sure what happened to the fun, awesome festivals I remember from my first years back in Los Angeles.

And then I think I figured it out. I snagged a panel ticket - just to something, anything really - and ended up at "Memoir: All the Single Ladies." (Ahem, that is me near the left edge of the picture, bent over something.) This totally made the festival worthwhile for me. The panels are the reason to go. They don't need to be favorite authors, and they certainly shouldn't be the political panels - those are chaos. My hour listening to these four women was perfect. And I also just happen to fit right into their demographic. But I liked that they were funny and self-deprecating and thoughtful, etc.

I also loved this line from Julie Klausner: "I hate when women do things that are good for their career and shitty to other women." Yay for solidarity.

Someday, if I survive this semester, I will get to read for fun again, and I will pick up these books....

2 comments:

Don said...

Yeah, the panels are what it's about. I haven't been for a couple years because I haven't bothered to make the trek to East Hollywood to get tickets (which seemed to be the closest location where I could get tickets in person instead of paying the ticketmaster "convenience" fee. I actually should sometime go to check out the expo side of things...

Erin said...

You should go back!
I think Ticketmaster is now charging the fee for in person ticket "sales" as well. But if you're not too picky, there are a fair amount of tickets available - absolutely free - same day.
The booths are neat, I guess. I just don't like people that much. I recommend going really early in the day, when it's less crowded and before the sun really takes over.