Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Westside Crazy Book Lady

No, that's not me. I still live in Hollywood, so I'm safe for now. But I'm reading Literacy and Longing in LA, a joint project by two Angelenas (is that a real term?). It's about a woman who is having a life crisis, and handles all crises by locking herself up and reading voraciously.

Much of this I can identify with. But I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed with the book so far. Dora, the protagonist, seems a little flaky, even if she is intelligent. And it's hard to believe her when she bemoans the shallowness of the Brentwood/West LA population when you discover that she lives (at 35) on a trust fund, thinks her size 12 sister seems fat (for LA, admittedly), and spends her days flitting around book stores and spying on her estranged husband.

But it IS white Los Angeles, so what is objectively shallow seems to make perfect sense within the context. I guess I just expected to identify with her more, and I'm finding that I don't want to be like her. (Although I wouldn't mind having a trust fund.)

The novel will probably grow on me. Expect a more positive review coming soon.

No comments: