Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 WrapUp & Best Of...

I read a lot at the beginning of this year. And then life got really hectic and I stopped reading. As much as I ever "stop" reading. Anyway, so my total count for the year is somewhere in the neighborhood of 42 books. (This does not include romance novels, which I should finally be brave and just admit that I read about 6 times/year.... Dude, they have hockey ones.... and it also counts all those Vampire Diaries titles as a single one.)

Going back and making a best of list was difficult, especially since there was a lot of light reading that I really enjoyed. And then there was a Pulitzer Prize-winner that didn't crack the list either. But whatever.... it is what it is, to bring back a phrase that was finally starting to fade out of my vocabulary.

But here it is, starting with some not-quite-official selections...

*Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel - technically I finished this last Dec. 31, but it never had a chance to count on my books of 2009, so here it is. Lovely.
*War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy (trans. by Richard Pevear & Larissa Volokhonsky) (Alfred A. Knopf, 2007) - well, obviously. This one also gets an asterisk because I had read the novel before. But not this translation!

And the rest, in reverse chronological order from when I read them:

The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins
I hadn't realized that YA dystopias could be so moving

North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
Won't knock Austen off her throne, but such a joy to discover.

One Day - David Nicholls
I have heard critiques that it is a little too manipulative, but screw that. I was enthralled.

Scribbling the Cat - Alexandra Fuller
This memoir was stunning. I kept finding myself dumbstruck.

The Possessed (etc.) - Elif Batuman
The title of my blog post was Russian! Books! Stanford! - 'Nuff said.

Bel Canto - Ann Patchett
So much more beautiful and moving than I had expected.

The Black Book - Orhan Pamuk
Challenging, but worth the effort.

A Fortunate Age - Joanna Smith Rakoff
I will always be a sucker for these novels about college graduates whose lives look just enough like mine.

Excellent food for thought, and a reminder of the complicated and thoughtful man who became president.

2666 - Roberto BolaƱo
Soooooo good. So interesting. So confusing. Will eventually require additional reads.

2011 resolutions upcoming.... Stay tuned.

No comments: