Saturday, June 12, 2010

Team Eric

Dead and Gone - Charlaine Harris (Ace Books, 2009)

Just one behind! (Of course it's the brand new one, so who knows when I'll get my hands on it.) It seems fairly clear to me that Harris has a plan for Sookie's love life, and with whom her happily-ever-after (if she ever gets one) lies. I don't think I approve of this plan. But whatever, I'm not in charge. If it's so important to me, I should just go write my own wildly successful series of vampire/werecreature/witch/fairy books. But if you had any doubts where my allegiance lay, check out the title of this post again.

And that's about all I have to say about this installment. It's gotten totally out of control - there are about a zillion different groups of supernatural beings either trying to kill or keep an eye on Sookie pretty much simultaneously. And everyone keeps dying. And really, dying in increasingly horrific ways. When do we get the book where no one dies?

Also, whenever she has a moment of regret, I applaud. Because things were obv kinda awful before, when everyone thought she was a freak for reading minds. And being desired for that very trait is pretty cool. But being desired has an awful lot of pitfalls. Sookie's a do-er more than a philosopher, but I wouldn't mind a DFW-esque cascade of footnotes that consider this somewhat existential dilemma. Just saying.

No comments: