Monday, February 01, 2010

Melancholia

Everything Was Fine Until Whatever - Chelsea Martin (Future Tense Books, 2009)

Martin is a young writer, much younger than I am, who appeared on my radar when a family friend sent me her book after hearing her at a reading. What she's doing isn't particularly in my area of expertise, but I'm going to describe it as prose poems, interspersed by drawings and very very tiny one liners. Ideally, the title of each piece doesn't have any obvious relationship to the body of the work. It's ironic, cynical-posing-as-sincere (or vice versa?), and pretty depressing. The other word that keeps coming to mind for me: hipster.

And just as this opinion was crystallizing, she essentially says the same thing: "I was injecting my cynicism, my malleability, my disregard for social skills and physical appearance." People like Martin have always made me feel terribly insecure.

There are a couple fascinating moments though:
He figures out what she's insecure about and then gives her really transparent compliments that make her feel bad about her personality. She tries to pretend her feelings are hurt. I used to think the adjective a person uses the most often is the word that most accurately describes what kind of person they are. But this friend never uses the work 'submissive.'

No comments: