Monday, July 09, 2007

Statistics

A sampling of the reading facts surrounding my life these days:

  • Number of books in my bedroom waiting to be read: 47 (auspicious)
  • Number of books in my "Books to Check Out" list: 51
  • Current New Yorker issue: May 14, 2007
  • Favorite "innovators" from said issue: Richard Branson and Banksy
  • Most recent book finished: Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
  • Number of stories in IoM: 9 (also auspicious)
  • Time finished: approx. 7:05pm on Monday night
  • Thoughts on said book: Marriages are fickle and difficult things; being an old and single woman sucks; culture shock is a big big big problem - both India to America and vice versa; who goes by the nickname Twinkle???
  • Other thoughts: Lahiri is a lovely writer, and has luscious, evocative detail - but all of the stories are tinged with sadness. It's a lot of sad to take all at once.
  • Number of Guggenheim Fellowships won by Lahiri: One
  • Number of Guggenheims won by me: None (yet)
  • Shoulder blade currently more sunburned: Left
  • Most surprising vocabulary today: Repository (context: "This folder will be the repository of your paperwork... repository? Did I just say repository?!")
  • Next book: hmmm, I think it'll be a surprise.

2 comments:

Don said...

47 is auspicious? Does that mean you went to Pomona College?

Erin said...

Didn't go to Pomona - I've heard that connection before, but I don't remember what it is. It's just my favorite number. Kind of related to Stephan Lebeau, the Ducks' first go-to guy back in the 93-94 season.