Friday, May 04, 2007

Festival of Books, Day 2

I almost forgot that I went back to the Festival on Sunday. Essentially just to see Jane Smiley, b/c it wouldn't be the same without her. She and Times book editor David Ulin discussed literature, sex, Boccaccio, politics, 9/11 fiction, and more. Smiley is so good in conversation. I don't know if it's from practice, or if she is just naturally a good speaker. She is comfortable being on stage, and doesn't patronize her audience, but is also clearly really intelligent. Also self-deprecating and witty. This wasn't the most entertained I've been by her, but still worth the trip.

Purchases:
The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory (I've made fun of this book for ages; figured it was finally time to read it)
Friday Night Lights, by H.G. Bissinger (the tv show is one of my guilty pleasures)

Swag:
more Ghiradelli chocolate

No comments: