Tuesday, February 06, 2007

My field trip to the library

It's been a while since I've been able to borrow books, perusing shelves and online catalogs, but today I visited my new local library branch. It's a bit of a hike, but definitely walkable, and is open post-rush hour every weeknight. And the community definitely seems to take advantage of it - pretty much every seat in the place was filled with readers, students, tutors, researchers, whathaveyou. My favorite feature was the self check-out machine, which I haven't seen since Berkeley (and there I seemed to always do it wrong). Skipping the line is nice sometimes (especially if you are carrying a book that you are mildly embarrassed about being seen with).

So thus was my trip. Book reviews on my loot coming soon...

3 comments:

zoe p. said...

Nice. I suddenly want a whole blog devoted to library reviews. I just went on a big search for a particular video that couldn't wait; visited two local libraries I'd never been to before. Very different, each, and for reasons that bear researching . . .

Don said...

I had thought about doing that myself: Riding my bike to a different local branch each Saturday. I'm realizing that the only branches I've been to (besides downtown) are Robertson and Palms-Rancho Park. Palms-Rancho is full all day, not just the evenings, by the way. I spent most of a day there not wanting to go to work, but not wanting to stay home either.

Erin said...

My old home library was John C. Fremont, at Melrose and June. Very old school with dark wood. Palms-Rancho Park - with the light and more open design - is almost its polar opposite. But both lovely.