Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Powell's Rocks

Happy Election Day to my California readers! I hope that you voted (even if it wasn't very exciting).

While I am a library devotee, I am also a fan of bookstores, especially when they have any of the following:
  • cafe
  • staff recommendations with little cards
  • a huuuuuge collection
Which brings me to Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon (also online), the massivest (to make up a word) bookstore I can think of. And the source of a joyous few hours during my one weekend in Portland. Today's Times Business section (of all places) explores the success of the new/used/online company, what separates it from other indie booksellers, and its possible future under 27(!)-year-old book heiress Emily Powell.

It's not fair. Separated by only a year, and yet I'm struggling to keep up with my book lists and she's has a reader's dreamland in her hands. If anyone out there has a book empire out there to give away, please keep me in mind...

No comments: