Monday, November 21, 2005

Boldtype

Other people do book reviews too! (In fact, I hear there are even other book blogs, such as Bookslut, but I am lame and haven't searched out proof.)

Anyway, Boldtype is a monthly newsletter by
Flavorpill, and mainly distinguishes itself with a hipster vibe and independent, non-commercial streak. Also, each month has a theme - and like most themes, some work better than others.

November's newsletter is about kinship and the complexity of family ties. Joan Didion's Year of Magical Thinking received a nod from them as well:
Through her grieving, Didion comes to understand that death is not just about losing someone else; it's also about the loss of oneself. Time had stopped for her the day she married Dunne; then she abruptly awoke to her 71-year-old self, bewildered and alone. Now she has to navigate life without her lifelong partner's advice; now she has to make medical decisions for their terminally ill daughter. It becomes painfully obvious just how much she is a part of the people she loved.
When I wax philosophical, I occasionally wonder to what extent we exist outside of our relationships with others and how we are perceived by them. And by that measure, losing a loved one is clearly losing a part of ourselves. Also, loss is always a love story. Definitely will make it on my list.

Nothing else *particularly* caught my eye, but isn't that how much collections of book reviews go? As I remember, and dig through my inbox, I will be trying to share with you some other people's book reviews.

Which reminds me, feel free to comment/e-mail me if you want to recommend books or put something up here.

No comments: